Thursday, January 21, 2016

8 weeks down 8 weeks to go!!

8 weeks down 8 weeks to go until the RnR DC marathon on March 12th. It will be my 7th marathon since 2010.  So far it's been going pretty well.  I'm about 15 miles short of where I should be due to some long runs that either didn't happen or were run shorter than planned.  I'm slowly making them up and hope to be back on track or a little longer before taper time.

On January 1st I ran the Resolution Run 5K in Patterson Park that I've run since 2010.  This year I ran it in 25:53 which is a PR on this particular course.  It was too cold and the race is always well attended with runners and walkers.  The post run spread is held in an old Church.  They server chili and holiday cookies.  It's a great way to start the New Year.

My training in general has been much heavier than I usually run, but my goal of breaking 4:30 in the marathon is still in sight and I feel that I need to put in high slow mileage to get the strength and stamina to finish the marathon in less than 4:30.  I seem to really respond when the runs are slower than pace than if I run faster than marathon pace.  I also seem to respond to higher mileage.  I've gotten up as high as 16 miles and soon will be at 20 miles for the long run.

I hope to get one 22 mile run in 3 weeks before the marathon which would be the farthest I've run in training.  I also will have a 10 mile race a week before the marathon.  I can't believe there are only 8 more weeks of training and really 5 weeks of heavy training before a 3 week taper.  I'm trying to go into this marathon with less anxiety and not to panic if things are not where I think they should be.  I sometimes think I'm faster than I am or stronger than I am and start to "split watch", not taking into account terrain or weather.

I'm pretty happy with my training and hope to continue it for the next 8 weeks.  It will be fun no matter what.

No comments:

Post a Comment