Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Now for Taper Madness

After peak week last week, it's now time to taper down for the marathon.  This is one of the most difficult things that many marathoners have to do.  You've spent months working your way up to the 20 milers and now you quickly dial it down so that your legs feel fresh for the marathon.  The reality is your mind starts to wander.  When you've been running 40-50 mile weeks or more for a few weeks and you suddenly find yourself running 30 miles and then 20 miles for the weeks leading up you get a little stir crazy and taper madness has set in. 

I'm in the middle of taper madness now.  My mind is starting to not trust the training I've run so far.  I haven't gotten too cranky yet since I'm cutting down my mileage and slowing myself down a bit more.  It's now Wednesday and I've only run 7 miles.  Two weeks ago on Wednesday I was over 20 miles.

I feel like I'm ready but I'm already checking the weather forecasts for DC, could be a chance for some rain but looks like decent weather right now.  I have a plan which is to not worry about time and just go out a run comfortable for the first 13.1 and then see how I feel and look to pick up the pace from 22 miles on.  The adage for the marathon is start slow and when you feel good stay slow.  A 20 mile warm up and a 10K race.

Before DC though I have the Tim Kennard River Run in Salisbury, MD at Salisbury University.  I'm running the 10 mile race, although I will do my best not to run it like a race.  I'm going to try to run it like an easy longish run.    My daughter goes to SU and she will be running the 5K race the same day.  It's a great course and relatively flat.  Last year the race was in snow, sleet, freezing rain and rain in the course of 10 miles.  Driving home was a bit sketchy going over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge, the Bay was frozen and the bridge was slippery.  This year it looks like it will be decent weather, so I'm hopeful that I can control my speed and not push the pace.

Yes I'm nervous, yes I'm going a bit stir crazy keeping the pace and mileage down, but in the end I know it's worth it.

Happy running..

No comments:

Post a Comment